These Ag Careers listings are not endorsed by the ASFMRA and should be fully investigated. The intent of this information is simply to introduce employers to potential candidates, and visa versa. ASFMRA staff reserves the right to accept, reject, and/or edit all listings that are submitted for placement in the Ag Careers Center section. Placement of Ag Career listings is usually complimentary.
ASFMRA Job Listing (#111414)
Job Title: Farm Operations Manager
Company: Navajo Mesa Farms
Position Location: Famington, NM
Navajo Mesa Farms, a successful agricultural operation, is seeking a full-time Farm Operations Manager to provide management, planning, control and leadership of large scale potato farm operations near Farmington, New Mexico.
Principal duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Management of large scale potato production operation, including:
- Seed cutting & suberization
- Preparation tillage and planting
- Pesticide and fertilization application and monitoring
- Harvesting process
- Potato storage operations
- All functions within the warehouse and shipping operations
- All quality control functions
- Informal and formal reporting to senior management. An example would be an Annual Operating Plan which would include:
- Field selection
- Recommendations on equipment needs, variety/field assignment, storage needs, and staffing plans
- Chemical, fertilizer and irrigation plans
- Harvest coordination and management
- Storage and shipping strategy and plans
- Other topics as requested or needed
- Provide for effective and timely management of the custom applicators in the delivery of their services including coordination of the scheduling of and receiving of inputs
- Implement recommendations made by the General Manger, Agronomist, Partners and Consultants
- Communicate and coordinate with landlord’s Operations Managers in the areas of: Water Management, Equipment and Maintenance, Grounds and Buildings, Soil Lab, and Equipment Rental
- Meet the Annual Operating Plan budget cost objectives
- Assist in Research & Development of emerging technologies and test varieties
- Develop, train, and motivate employees to become potential future leaders in the organization
- Handle daily management and supervision of the field and warehouse crews
- Maintain excellent public relations with landlord, vendors, buyers and others
- Maintain a high public image for employees (i.e. be a positive role model)
- Other tasks as directed by the General Management, COO and Executive Management
The following knowledge, skills and experience will be helpful for the successful candidate:
- Ability to and demonstrated experience effectively managing large scale farming operations
- Strong business skills with the ability to execute the strategic plans of the organization
- Personnel leadership and management skills, including, recruiting, training and motivating employees
- Ability to foster and develop team work while effectively leading the team to accomplish the organizational objectives
- Strong agronomic and crop production experience, preferably with demonstrated skills in potato production, potato storage management and potato grading/shipping
- Knowledge of and skills in negotiation
- Organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to all types of audiences
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Willingness and ability to travel
- The ability to speak Spanish and/or Navajo would be a plus
- Education and experience commensurate with the position requirements
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with education and experience.
Closing date: 12-31-2014
ASFMRA Job Listing (#111314)
Job Title: Appraiser
Company: Snyder Appraisal
Position Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Job Description: About Us
Snyder Appraisal has been providing appraisals for Agriculture, Conservation and Agribusiness since 2000. We have a reputation for thorough, comprehensive and understandable appraisals of specialty and unique properties. We seek out clients we like and take on interesting projects ranging from fishing access easements to large poultry house construction, from 20 acre Amish farms to 1000+ acre woodland tracts. Our geographic range includes the full breadth of Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware. We pride ourselves on undertaking challenging projects. Our work environment is highly collaborative. We are committed to staying on the education forefront of appraisal issues. We are a small but growing business where every member of the team has an integral voice and contributes to our success.
The Appraiser is responsible for performing actions necessary to complete accurate appraisals of the value of real property of varied complexity for a broad range of property use. The Appraiser should be General Certified. Candidates with a designation are desirable, but not required.
- Conduct property inspections.
- Complete appraisals of real property by analyzing market data to determine value using cost, sales comparison and income approaches.
- Obtain general and specific property data allowing development of the report from defining the problem to Highest and Best Use.
- Research, confirm and analyze market sales and rental information.
- Determine, analyze and apply the appropriate valuation approaches.
- Develop the information in the appropriate report format.
- Establish and maintain good customer relations by providing ongoing communication, coordination and timely assistance throughout all assignments.
- Participate in various Appraisal related functions (ASFMRA chapter and national meetings, Land Trust meetings, etc.) Occasional travel is required.
Education and Experience
General background knowledge and understanding of agriculture State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser License required. Pennsylvania, Maryland, and or Delaware license preferred.
Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
To Apply Contact:Human Resources Snyder Appraisal Associates 3004 Hempland Road, Suite 3 Lancaster, PA 17601
Or email: email@example.com
Closing Date: 03-31-2015
ASFMRA Job Listing (#102714)
Job Title: Chief Investment Officer
Company: American Farms LLC
Position Location: Lincoln, NE
Brown & Co is a UK domiciled independent partnership specialising in Farm Management, Agribusiness Advice, Brokerage and Valuation services for clients across the agricultural sector, worldwide. Brown & Co has over 160 dedicated professional staff, of which 27 are full-time agriculturalists and operates from 14 offices worldwide. Since 2003, the group has had managerial and advisory roles on over 750,000ha/$5bn of farmland and has advised on the acquisition, marketing and sale of over $1bn of farmland.
Dexion Capital plc is a UK boutique investment bank specialising in the structuring, marketing and distribution of alternative funds. The Dexion group is employee owned and independent of any institution. Since its launch in 2000, it has undertaken 96 transactions, raising more that $13bn in partnership with leading investment firms.
AAM is a new venture that aims to grow to US$1bn of Assets under management within ten years. In the short term AAM is seeking to become one of the leading solutions led providers for institutional investors seeking exposure to Agricultural assets in the United States, UK and Central and Eastern Europe.
The partners have long been committed to agriculture and have identified increasing institutional demand for this asset class. To that end they have jointly established AAM specific objective of channelling and managing inflows of long-term institutional investment interest in agriculture in the UK and globally, and to provide the farming expertise to deliver expected returns. The initial focus is to manage portfolios on farmland in the US on behalf of these investors.
AFL has been set up as the US investment management arm of AAM. AFL has one full time CFO, currently based in Chicago and has sought to establish local asset management capability by entering into two on the ground partnerships Ritter Agribusiness in the Mississippi Delta region and Farmland Opportunity Partners in Illinois.
Ritter Agribusiness has been managing land holdings since the 1890s and has an agribusiness that consists of farmland, grain storage facilities and co-ownership of a cotton gin. Farmland Opportunity Partners has a strong track record of acquiring, managing and developing US farmland properties in Illinois.
AFL has started fund raising for the US offering and will use a US placement agent retained for this purpose. Dexion Capital is responsible for sourcing capital from non-US investors. The first fund is targeting a first close at $100m and currently targets a total size of $250m. AFL seeks to have $500m AUM by 2018.
AAM is now seeking an exceptional individual as CIO to AFL. This key member of the Senior Management team will possess:
- A strong, demonstrable and transparent track record in acquiring and managing farmland over 15+ years on behalf of investors – across the United States.
- A strong understanding of risk adjusted returns to investors in farmland and a strong strategic vision of a US wide agricultural portfolio construction.
- A developed and established network of real estate brokers and investment advisory professionals.
- A strong network of high quality prospective tenants/ custom farmers.
- A highly developed ability to research and evaluate investment characteristics and identify opportunities to change cropping and/ or made additional investments in order to re-develop properties in order to enhance overall returns.
- A proven track record in agriculture.
- The successful candidate will also possess:
- High levels of integrity, professionalism and a strong credible reputation amongst peers.
- A country wide understanding of different investment characteristics/ land market nuances.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, and an ability to work as part of a team.
- An ability to re-locate if necessary.
- A thorough understanding of production economics/ up to date farming systems and best in class farm based technology applications.
- An ability to work up, in conjunction with the CFO – detailed financial models and farm based budgets to establish and subsequently monitor against individual farm performance.
The candidate will have dual reporting to the Managing Partner of Brown & Co and the Managing Director of Dexion Capital.
As CIO, the candidate will have responsibility for leading the US investments teams in establishing and implementing the strategies for acquiring and managing and exiting farmland portfolios. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for building out additional local capability as AFL’s operations expand across the US.
- Provide strategic leadership and vision by coordinating the efforts of a Senior Investment origination team in achieving consistent superior risk adjusted returns for the Fund.
- Drive the activities to source high quality deals into investment for the fund
- Establish the annual Business Plan, investment performance targets and operational goals
- Chair the Investment Committee
- Execute transactions with business & financial modeling, valuation, due diligence, negotiation, closing and exits.
- Implement policies & systems to manage sales & workflow pipeline, budgets & projections, risk adjusted asset allocation & scenario models and performance reporting.
- Promote and establish good working relationships with stakeholders and the financial community in general and develop alliances that result in high quality deal flow
An attractive overall package is available that is commensurate with this senior position that will reward performance and include options in AFL. The position is likely to be based in Denver, Colorado, or Lincoln, Nebraska.
Background of the Shareholders of AAM
Brown & Co
Brown & Co specialise in large scale agribusiness management, consultancy, brokerage and valuation advice for clients across the agricultural sector – worldwide. Since 2003 Brown & Co has had a managerial or advisory role on over 500,000 hectares/ US$5 bn of farmland and has advised in the acquisition, marketing or sale of over US$1bn of farmland worldwide. The firm has 160 dedicated professional staff (27 full time agriculturalists) and operates from 14 offices. Brown & Co is the only RICS accredited farmland advisory and brokerage entity with presence in the UK, Central and Eastern Europe, North America and South America.
Dexion Capital plc is a boutique investment bank focused on distributing and placing alternative funds and providing advisory services to the asset management industry. The Dexion group was formed in 2000 and is independent of any institution or fund management firm.
Dexion provides distribution and marketing services to alternative investment managers and their funds, and has additional expertise in research, market making, corporate broking and fund administration for listed closed-end funds. The group also offers corporate finance advisory services to the asset management industry.
Since launch, Dexion Capital plc has undertaken numerous fundraising and related activities amounting to $12 billion* for a variety of fund structures and organisations, often in partnership with leading alternative investment managers.
The Dexion group consists of Dexion Capital plc, based in London, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and Dexion Capital (Guernsey) Limited, authorised and regulated by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission.
To Apply: Contact Robert Whelan, CFO of Agricultural Asset Management at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 11-25-2014
ASFMRA Job Listing (#101814)
Job Title: Tenure Track faculty in Agricultural Business
Company: Dept. of Agriculture, Fort Hays State University
Position Location: Hays, KS
Instruction (60%): The successful candidate will teach a variety of agricultural business and agricultural economics courses (12 credit hours each semester). This individual also will participate in the department’s instructional outreach initiatives focused on providing coursework and degree programs through the University’s Virtual College. Teaching opportunities include theoretical and applied coursework, both on-campus and through distance education platforms, in the areas of commodity marketing, farm management, agricultural technology, livestock economics, global agricultural trade, agricultural cooperatives and rural development, and other courses based on interests and programmatic needs that complement the department’s applied academic programs. The successful candidate also will participate in undergraduate student advising.
Scholarship (20%): The successful candidate will be expected to develop a program of scholarly pursuit in his or her discipline area, preferably focused on topics of regional agricultural interest.
Service (20%): The successful candidate will be expected to serve on department and university committees, and to participate in other appropriate department, college, university, community, and professional service activities.
Ph.D. in Agricultural Business, Agricultural Economics, or a related Agricultural area is preferred. Individuals nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD), or possessing the M.S. degree with experience, will be considered at the instructor rank.
To Apply: Send a letter of application, vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, photocopies of all post-secondary transcripts (official transcripts are required at the time of employment), and names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references to: Dr. Craig Smith, Search Committee Chair, Department of Agriculture, Fort Hays State University, 600 Park Street, Hays, KS 67601-4099. Telephone: (785) 628-4196; fax: (785) 628-4183; e-mail: email@example.com. Priority will be given to applications received by January 15, 2015. Electronic applications are preferred and will be accepted until the position is filled. Successful finalists will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Closing date: 1-15-2015
ASFMRA Job Listing (#1092014)
Job Title: Appraiser / Appraiser Trainee
Company: Farm Credit East
Position Location: Bridgeton, New Jersey
SUMMARY OF POSITION: This position is accountable for accurate and timely completion of evaluations and appraisal of real and personal property in accordance with FCA, Bank and Association appraisal regulations and policies, and Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP). This position is responsible for performing reviews of appraisals, accurately completing environmental inspections, developing and maintaining “benchmark” farms, collecting auction and market information values, staff appraisal training, and other duties as assigned.
COUNTIES SERVED: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean, Salem
AREA: The branch is located in a suburban area, with rural communities and urban amenities conveniently located nearby.
TYPES OF BUSINESSES: he branch’s agriculture is diverse, including aquatic, nursery, livestock, vegetable, greenhouse, field crops, and fruit. Farm related businesses and part-time farmers are also within Bridgeton’s target market.
“With minimal supervision, depending upon experience, the incumbent is accountable for the following:
• COLLATERAL APPRAISAL: Contribute to the protection of Association loan assets through the timely and accurate completion of appraisals and environmental inspections on all types of collateral, meeting Association policy and FCA regulations. Contribute to the effectiveness of the appraisal program by the successful completion of continuing education coursework required by the state in which the employee is General Certified.
• CLIENT APPRAISAL: Contribute to customer satisfaction and Association profitability through the professional, accurate and timely completion of appraisal reports.
• QUALITY CONTROL: Contribute to the maintenance of high quality appraisals and collateral administration through the objective and accurate review of appraisals and collateral documents prepared by Association and outside staff. Provide effective and timely feedback, supervision, and training to Association collateral evaluators and appraisers.
• RESOURCE INFORMATION & SPECIAL PROJECTS: Contribute to a well informed credit and appraisal staff by providing timely and accurate resource information, effective training, and by completion of special projects as required.
• MARKETING: Contribute to growth of Association credit and related services through effective, proactive marketing of not only appraisal services, but all of the Association products and services within the agricultural community. • MEMBER RELATIONS: Contribute to an Association image of excellence by the prompt delivery of high quality service and product, current knowledge of agriculture/aquaculture, and participation in farm and appraisal organizations. The application of skillful human relations techniques in dealing with members is required.
• TEAMWORK: Assist the Branch and Association in meeting its goals and objectives through effective teamwork and cooperation. Promote open and constructive communications and the attitude of “What can I do to help you?”.”
Position requires a B.S. in Agricultural Economics/Finance or related field. Knowledge of agriculture, finances, credit and credit administration. Strong marketing and interpersonal skills are required, as are verbal and written communications and analytical skills. Must be team oriented. The position requires the ability to travel throughout the Association territory as needed.
Farm Credit East is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. It is our goal to make employment decisions that further the principle of equal employment opportunity by utilizing objective standards based upon an individual’s qualifications for a specific job opening.
Questions may be directed to Dave GaNun at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Open until filled.
Post a Job
To post an Ag Career, simply email the position information, contact information, closing date, and any other special requirements to email@example.com. If a closing date for the position is not included, position listings will remain on the site for 30 days.